[Public-List] Mufflers

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Nov 26 16:51:00 PST 2010

Hi,

I probably need to replace the bronze standpipe muffler attached
to the back of my Atomic 4. It works, but it weeps. I was quoted
800$ for a new one made of stainless steel.

I've looked at the diagram here:
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/
which tells me how to get the exhaust and water into the port
locker. This is all fine.

I've also looked at the diagram here:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?page=Exhaust-System-Basics
which tells how to get the exhaust/water over the side.

But I need a few more details:
Where exactly does the muffler sit in the locker?
How is it attached to the boat?
What brand/model of muffler?
Is there enough clearance in the locker to keep
the anti-siphon loop above the waterline?

Does anybody have any thoughts, diagrams or photos?

Thanks,

Stephen Gwyn,
Quasar #495

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn