[Public-List] Mufflers

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Nov 27 07:03:09 PST 2010

Stephen,

On 11/26/10 7:51 PM, Stephen Gwyn wrote:
> I probably need to replace the bronze standpipe muffler attached to the
> back of my Atomic 4. It works, but it weeps. I was quoted 800$ for a new
> one made of stainless steel.
>
> I've looked at the diagram here:
> http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/ which
> tells me how to get the exhaust and water into the port locker. This is
> all fine.
>
> I've also looked at the diagram here:
> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?page=Exhaust-System-Basics
>
> which tells how to get the exhaust/water over the side.
>
> But I need a few more details:
> Where exactly does the muffler sit in the locker?

Mine is just sitting in the low corner of the locker (inboard forward
end).  The outlet hose is connected to the original horizontal pipe just
under the seat locker hatch.

> How is it attached to the boat?

Mine isn't (sheepish grin), but could be by screwing it to the liner.

> What brand/model of muffler?

Mine is a stainless steel pot muffler.  I don't know the brand or where
to get one.  Many people use a plastic vetus muffler.

> Is there enough clearance in the locker to keep
> the anti-siphon loop above the waterline?

You can run an anti-siphon loop up to just below the bridge deck.  I
don't have one in the system.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org