[Public-List] Main sail modification?

elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 31 11:09:39 PDT 2010

Hello Friends,Finally, our "LADY HERON" is out of the water and we have already covered her for the winter and snow - so all is OK. On the other hand, we already start to plan for 2011, as a small group of French/Quebec/Canadian people is offering the organization of sailing to "Saint-Pierre and Miquelon" (2 French islands only about 10nm south of New Foundland, or about 750nm ESE from Quebec City). They plan this voyage as a practical exercise for the planed 2012 Atlantic crossing (will also be organized for 2012 to whoever would like to participate).Having sailed our "LADY HERON" for the last 3 years, we know that we have to start modifying/purchasing some new sails to make sure that we will have the best possible sail availability for any sail condition expecting us around the world.Lets start:1.) We have a very old (finished) 150 jib that we generally use from  0 - 10kts (mounted to Schaefer - Jib Furling System 1100).2.) We have an almost new 120 jib - we believe it is OK from 10 - 20kts (mounted to Schaefer - Jib Furling System 1100).3. Our main sail is fairly old but in reasonable good shape. In 2009, we modified it to have 4 full battens as well as the "STRONG" sail track - a modification we really liked (black-type of plastic track attached to the mast). This is, what we presently have. Now what do we need additional and what do we need to modify???
Here we are looking for advise:A.) 1st we know that we need a new jib. We would consider a 160 for the roller furling?B.) The 120 that we have seems fairly new and we will keep it as it is!?C.) What do we do for higher winds - a smaller Jib - something like an 80 or so (above wind of 20 - 25 kts)?? We were considering to install a removable forestay? The mast has already the attachment for it (near the spreaders). All that would need to be done is the mounting/installation of the hull attachment (removable and installable) near the "DOLPHIN" Windlass.D.) The main sail - we were thinking to modify it for another year and see how that would work. ?!? The problem (our feeling) we always had - at around 10kts we need the first reef. At about 15 - 20kts, we need the second reef. In most cases, we have a lot of "WINDWARD" pressure, forcing us to open the main sail quite a lot.Our modification idea is as follows:Remain the Actual Luff at 31ftModify (reduce) the Actual Foot from 14.25ft to 12.25ft
Having read that Carl Albergs design was apparently changed to some extent by Kurt Hansen, we think that this modification would be beneficial. This would reduce the size from 220sqft to about 190sqft (reduction of 14%)??? This modification should be reasonably inexpensive and give us another season to experience the sailing of the A30. We also believe that it would not reduce the speed of the A30 in any way.Any suggestions or modification ideas???ThanksBruno & ElyseLady Heron 297