[Public-List] Main sail modification?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Oct 31 11:25:26 PDT 2010

Hello frienda -

What a great trip - it is one I would like to make some day.  A friend from
our club made the journey as far as PEI last season.

Your 120 headsail should be good for winds around 30 kts....

The weather helm you describe is I am certain due to poor shape in your
mainsail.  The addition of full battens won't have much improving effect on
this.   A main with a good shape (draft, or deepest, part of it's curve
forward of centre) will not generate the help issue you describe.  A new
well shaped sail certainly will.

The modifications Hansen made (iron vs lead ballast... Mast head rig vs 3/4
rig) do not cause the symptoms you wish to correct.   I wish you'd been able
to sail our boat when you were here.  The new main solved the helm and
tenderness issues.

I look forward to news about your preparations!

Gord #426 Surprise