[Public-List] re-wiring

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 10:29:58 PDT 2010

Definitely not a job for a residential electrician. No wire nuts allowed!  I
rewired my boat with the basics you describe a couple years ago for about
$700 in materials. 12 volt systems are simple, and there's tons of material
out there to guide you.  I did much of my basic planning of circuits, wire
sizing and layouts using Don Casey's Maintenance Manual.

Get good crimpers and learn how to make a good connection:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

Use good quality heat shrink connectors:
http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Electrical%20Supply/Heat%20Shrink%20Terminals/

Wire: Avoid WM. Much better deals can be found on the internet
http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Grade%20Wire/  for the same items.

If you search the internet there are lots of "basic sailboat wiring plans"
to get an idea of a layout. Now's the time to take advantage of newer
technology such as Automatic Charging Relays to isolate starting current and
house current draw, but charge both.  I found this to be an enjoyable
project.

jeff

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM, John Birch <Sunstone at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Congrats Roger.
>
> Now hopefully the "professional" actually knew what he was doing. No
> disrespect intended, but I've seen some terrible work done by
> "professionals" in the marine business.
>
> Such a cottage industry sometimes
>
> No doubt, given your knowledge you have verified the quality of that work.
>
> Just a warning to others. Surveyors being some of the worst offenders.
>
> I never do anything without bringing a certified electrician, familiar with
> marine electrical issues, on board to confirm my work correct. Particularly
> on the AC side.
>
> Our marina is fortunate to have two Certified Electricians and two hydro
> lines men. All great fellows to boot.
>
> Best all
>
> John
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger L. Kingsland" <