[Public-List] New sails

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Oct 21 07:14:39 PDT 2010

Ed,

On 10/20/10 12:58 PM, edward schroeder wrote:
> ... UK Halsey also recommended that the foot be a
> footloose type. Ther is only a nylon slug at the outhaul that fits
> into the foot groove on the boom. After reviewing the Alberg Racing
> Rules, we saw no restriction against it. The additional 1/3 of the
> lower part of sail being curved is really great.Even when reefed,
> with the reefing nettles being tied only around the sail (and not the
> boom) the sail keeps it's shape. It is also much easier to pull out
> the outhaul without a mechanical advantage-type outhaul.

Sorry to disappoint you, but II.11.C says, "All mainsails shall, when in
use, be attached to the spars for the full length of the luff and foot.
  No loose-footed mainsails shall be used."

I don't know the reason for this stipulation, and maybe it's time to ask
the Rules Committee to reconsider.  I've often thought about the
advantages you mention.  And the use of a "shelf" has become common to
allow adjusting the draft.

It took years and much arguing before that same paragraph allowed a
flattening reef and/or Cunningham.  If we want to allow a loose foot,
we'd better start the process now. ;-)

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org