[Public-List] Advice on new sails?

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 20 08:38:13 PDT 2010

Last Spring, we bought a new mainsail from UK Halsey for the Emotional Rescue #303. It
has two full battens and two short battens, as you have described. UK Halsey also recommended that the foot be a footloose type. Ther is only a nylon slug at the outhaul that fits into the foot groove on the boom. After reviewing the Alberg Racing Rules, we saw no restriction against it. The additional 1/3 of the lower part of sail being curved is really great.Even when reefed, with the reefing nettles being tied only around the sail (and not the boom) the sail keeps it's shape. It is also much easier to pull out the outhaul without a mechanical advantage-type outhaul .

Ed Schroeder