[Public-List] New sails - PHRF Rating impacts

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Oct 22 04:56:40 PDT 2010

Personally, I hate PHRF- level one design is the best.

However, for many, PHRF is the only option or else stay home.

The problem with having an A-30 race with a loose footed main or exotic sail
cloth, (and PHRF does not forbid this) is that if they make the boat go
faster then the PHRF rating for the entire geographic area PHRF covers will
be changed
for that class of boats.

That translates into a lower base correction number, which will hurt all
A-30s that sail with traditional, class legal, sails.

Remember, PHRF-LO for example, has already reduced the rating on A-30s based
on the results over time of as few as 3 or 4 active boats.

Best

John