[Public-List] A Rope Question

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Oct 22 12:47:00 PDT 2010

Hi there -

I supplied the rigging to that ship when the restoration was under refit a
while back.  She's quite something, isn't she?

Left-handed refers to the direction of the lay of the three strand.  Yes, it
was made that way sometimes but not often.   There is a long lingering and
cherished mythology about the obscure applications left handed line was put
to, but the reality is that most ships' bosuns didn't have the luxury of the
budget to order rope that way.   Regular laid rope was used all over because
it's what was available.

Please feel free to forward this to the interps.

Cheers - Gord