[Public-List] molds for Albergs.

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Sun Sep 19 19:33:56 PDT 2010

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> It would be interesting to know what happened with the molds.  I lost
> contact with Bill Boyle years ago.
>
> I don't know that they would be handy for repair parts, though.  Bill
> told me that, when he received them, they needed some significant work
> before being used.  Others have made molds for small parts:  Read
> Beigel for spray hoods and J Bergquist for winch pads, for example.
> It's not that hard to do.
>
> Bill Boyle decided that there wasn't sufficient market to produce new
> hulls.
>
>  - George

I talked to Bill on the phone a couple of years ago, and he said he was
not interested in building any boats on spec.  He did, however, mention
that he would build them 'to order' with a minimum order of several
boats, and given the caveat that he thought some interior furniture
improvements were in order, taking advantage of the last 40 years
improvements in space efficiency in small-ish boats.

I know a handful of folks that would LOVE to see A-30's go back into
production.  I guess the question is how much does it cost to build
hulls to original lay-up schedule and where to get orders.  I'd hate to
see a 'modern' Alberg 30 with a paper thin hull...

On a side note, my trailer boat had not been in production since the
mid-1980's when a few years ago International Marine obtained the molds
and started producing them again.  So this sort of thing CAN happen.

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea