[Public-List] drogue link

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 11:30:01 PDT 2011

Here is a link to a vendor who invented the Jordan series drogue .

http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/

It has some interesting comments about drogues versus sea anchors. The author has pretty strong opinions for one who is a bit short on sea time. He really doesn't seem to know about multiple diagonal wave patterns, winds against counter currents, sudden shifts in wind direction from occuled fronts etc as it effects sea state... Nevertheless, the series drogue seems like a great idea, and the discussion is very interesting. Also have seen some really outraged replies from sea anchor vendors.

Alan Coles "Heavy Weather Sailing" makes the same argument as the Jordan drogue guy, for a long warp and drag point at the end, extending over two or more wave periods, e.g up to 600' or more. The whole idea is to keep the anchor/drogue buried in the ocean well beyond the influence of the wave that is pushing the boat back and forth. If I remember correctly, short warps get tossed around and surge forward by the same wave that pushes the boat...

I am planning on buying the Jordan drogue as I am sold on the idea of a long warp with many cones dragging across several wave periods. My experience from gill netting in Alaska is that with a 900' gillnet dragging off the bow (or stern), boats will stand up to almost any sea. Controlled drift with stern to the wind is much safer and comfortable in really heavy weather.

BTW, one doesnt actually 'pull in' the sea anchor/drogue, you have to winch the boat back to the drogue ( or sea anchor). Most of the reports suggest the wind needs to die down below 30kts before retrieval- small price to pay after a big storm

Cheers
Glenn b
Dolce 319