[Public-List] fuel tank

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Apr 23 17:43:47 PDT 2011

    One thing never to do is install a screen at the bottom of the
pickup tube in a fuel tank. It will clog & stop the engine at the worst
possible time, as when, one Memorial Day weekend we were coming back
from St. Michaels to the Severn (Round Bay) with a strong, really
strong, breeze behind us. As the Annapolis drawbridge only opened  at
specified times, I dropped the sails and started the diesel as we
entered Annapolis harbor, preparatory to stooging around until the
bridge opened. Shortly the engine stopped - gunk had clogged the
strainer I did not know I had, at the bottom of the tank, completely
unreachable. I was bearing  rapidly down on the drawbridge and asked for
an emergency opening, which the bridgetender refused.

     It was with pure luck that I got an anchor down in time - and it
held - about 100 yards from the bridge. Sea Tow took me through 30
minutes later when the bridge did open. I had to drain the tank and move
it from where it was installed in order to get clearance to  remove the
pickup pipe.

     I now have two Racor filters in parallel  and can valve between them.

I also have a second  auxiliary fuel  tank. Plans (A), (B) and (C)

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II