[Public-List] rails

Chuck Stein cwstein1 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 2 12:40:25 PDT 2011

We just finished this job on our non-liner boat (156).  The rails are
connected through the toe-rails with bolts that have nuts and washers.  Look
where the hull and the deck meet and you should see the nuts and washers.
They may be coated with paint, depending on how many times the interior has
been painted.  You may find it easier if you remove the mahogany cabinet
fronts that attach on our boat to the forward bulkhead and the shelf.  There
were two bolts we could not reach because a new gas tank has been installed
on the starboard side in the cockpit locker.  Rather than mess with the
tank, we cut those off with a saws all, drove them down into the locker, and
replaced them with screws when we replaced the rail.  We replaced the wood
spacer with cedar strips about 1/" thick and 3/4" wide and caulked between
the strips and the teak rails.  The whole job was relatively easy.
Chuck Stein