[Public-List] Reversing the A-30

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon Apr 4 06:05:05 PDT 2011

Stephen Gwyn wrote:

> OK, how about anchoring? You always have your head into
> the wind, and the boat always want to weathercock the other
> way. And you need to back down hard to set the anchor;
> gently setting the anchor is a waste of time.
>
> Stephen
> #495 Quasar

I'm sure I'm going to open a whole can of worms with this observation,
but I do NOT think one needs to back down hard to 'set' an anchor.

We anchor under sail frequently enough with NO power in reverse to 'set'
the anchor, and indeed engineless boats seem to manage okay, too (the
Pardeys and the Hiscocks in the early days come to mind).  Proper
anchors and proper anchoring technique sets it.  I have been anchored in
50 knots of wind, admittedly on two anchors, but without any power
delivered to 'set' the anchor(s).

So, no, I don't find "gently setting the anchor is a waste of time" to
be consistent with real world experience at all.

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea