[Public-List] Reversing the A-30

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Apr 4 06:16:19 PDT 2011

Agree John, we back down and payout chain, we're all chain, until we have
the full scope for the site.

Then we gently persuade the anchor to set as it sinks through the weeds, by
maintaining no more than about 800 RPM. Sometimes a brief blip to 1000, then
back to 800 to test if it held by doing triangulated bearing fixes.

Too often people go crazy in reverse and end up plowing the bottom like a
farmer getting ready to plant a crop, and loading up their anchor with
weed - then it will never set.

Depends on the site - in the weedy 1000 Islands - gentle and set. And use a
big anchor (our primary is a big CQR) - also called a BFA (Big F'n Anchor -
you can figure out what the F stands for ; )

ATB

John