[Public-List] Reversing the A-30

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Apr 4 12:40:08 PDT 2011

When I sailed with my Dad on the Great South Bay of Long Island, NY, we
would sail up to an anchorage, and I would go forward, drop the hook and
cleat the rode, then  hold the clew of the jib as far our and forward as
I could.  Even if you couldn't get the boat moving straight back, with
any breeze, you would get enough inertia to dig the anchor in  when you
snubbed up the rode. We usually did this in the middle of the Bay to go
fishing or clamming.

In our sometimes crowded anchorages on the Chesapeake, if I have room I
will pay out 10:1 chain and rode, and drift back, then set the anchor
with the engine.  Many of these anchorages are well protected, and you
can wait a long time for enough drift to set an anchor. Then I shorten
up to a little less than 7:1.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272