[Public-List] Stern tube/stuffing box match (was: Marisel #385)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Apr 12 12:07:00 PDT 2011

For the stern-tube/stuffing-box OD mismatch, I machined down the stuffing box to closely match the OD of the stern tube, and to exactly match an available hose size.  In my case there was plenty of "meat" on the bronze stuffing box, and I had it out anyway to re-pack.  The stern tube arrangement did not need to come out for any other reason (if it had I would probably have glassed in a fiberglass tube, as a previous respondent mentioned, and eliminated the whole bronze fitting/tube arrangement).

As it was, once the stuffing box matched an available hose size, it was within 1/16" of the diameter of the stern tube, which made for a nearly perfect fit (whereas before, when they did not match, the hose was somewhat gathered and puckered on the stern tube... yuck).  I didn't want to have anything else in there (like a rubber or plastic collar) if I could help it.  As it was, turning down the stuffing box was pretty easy, so I had no reason not to.  Plus, very convenient to re-pack while out on the shop bench :)

Rachel
ex-#221