[Public-List] ST2000 tiller pilot

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 18 13:28:38 PDT 2011

Hello Stephen -

I used to sell these units when Autohelm made them.  To avoid locker lids
Autohelm made mounding adapter kits involving screw pads and tubular
extenders intended to be mounted on a coaming and reach over a locker lid.
You still couldn't open the locker with the unit attached, but at least the
energy the steering system applied wasn't transmitted to the lid.  To open
the locker you'd have to pick the unit up off its pins, unscrew the extender
then replace the extender and unit after closing the locker again. Not the
most elegant set up.

I reckon the new incarnation likely offers the parts; you'll have to decide
how badly you want the self steering in light of the lid issue.

All that aside - the Autohelm 2000 worked well.  I lived with one doing a
yacht delivery from Martinique to Toronto via Bermuda and New York in a
Dufour 31.  Didn't like the boat much but the unit worked well.   I found
the grrrrrrr-dit-dit-dit-grrrr sound of the drive as it steered very
comforting when I was in my bunk during the two sea passages (ten days to
Bermuda, five and a half days to New York)

Gord #426 Surprise