[Public-List] Diesel Help

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 11:37:15 PDT 2011

Hi Jonathan,

I am not an expert, by any means, but you might want to get another opinion from a second mechanic. The mechanic's compression loss suggestion doesnt seem all that valid. Most engines with a decompression system will drop compression for hand cranking at least as much as what your compression loss test shows, if not more...

Do you have glow plugs in the engine? Diesels designed with glow plugs typically need these to start. The glow plugs in each cylinder are needed to preheat the air in the cylinder prior to starting. Makes a better environment to fire off the fuel air mixture during each compression stroke. My universal marine diesel has glow plugs, to which I inadvertently disconnected the wiring harness during a winter layup a few years ago, and could not get the engine to start the next spring, without extended cranking. It would turn over forever, pop fire and stall, then blow diesel smoke out the exhaust, eventually after extended cranking - like 30 - 45 seconds or more, would start, and restart right away when hot... Which sounds a lot like your symptoms. In a flash of inspiration, half way through the season I traced the glow plug wiring and found it disconnected at the engine. Once I plugged it back in, everything has worked fine.

BTW, in the big commercial diesels, a small spurt of water in the fuel will blow out the glow plug elements in one or more cylinders, and cause the same starting problem - so there could be two things to check - harness voltage going to the plug (most likely) , and the little sparky "anodes' in the plug end.

Cheers
Glenn brooks
Dolce 319