[Public-List] Upwind musings....

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Fri Aug 12 11:53:29 PDT 2011

Gord -
I wasn't aware of differences in spreader height - at least in the Chesapeake rules that would take you out of one-design racing.  However, I can attest to the working jib giving you better pointing in heavy air. When I got mine last fall I sheeted in inside the shrouds from a snatch block on the inside track  (as in your case this was a lousy position for sailing off the wind). With a single reef steering was well balanced and I think I was tacking through less than 100 deg. It was a pleasure tacking up the Severn in 25 knots singlehanded - sure is nice having only 10 feet or so of sheet to reel in.

If your legs were long enough you could consider changing jibs!

Mike
Rinn Duin #272