[Public-List] Hanks

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed Feb 23 06:38:36 PST 2011

I has been very quiet! Here's another topic....

I have an old #2 in good shape but needs new hanks. I got the old bronze
"crimp-on" piston hanks off. They were badly corroded and not
serviceable. The grommets are in less than good shape but _may_ be good
enough.

1) Is it practical to replace grommets? Does this do too much damage to
an old sail to be worthwhile?

2) Does anyone have a source for hanks that are seized on rather than
crimped? Opinions on the merits?

3) Does anyone have experience with Wichard spring hanks as opposed to
piston hanks? Reliability and longevity?

Mike
Rinn Duin #272 (21 days to relaunch!)