[Public-List] Hanks

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Feb 23 06:43:25 PST 2011

Hi Mike -

Changing hanks is no big trauma... It's a nice job to do while watching a
movie on TV.

I would recommend lashed on hanks rather than the knock-on ones you
describe.  The only advantage to the knock-on type is that for the sailmaker
they are fast to install.

With regard to spring hanks - they can be very troublesome with regard to
their predilection to grab lines or halyards that come into contact with
them. This can cause a sail to jam while hoisted.  Piston hanks are better
proof against this.

I can supply any type (hope this isn't too commercial George) if you contact
me off line I can talk about it.  Actually any local sail loft should have
access to them.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise