[Public-List] Cockpit Floor

Mel Martin mel.martin at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 25 18:07:35 PST 2011

Gord, Mike, George,
Thanks X 10^6 for your suggestions, links, and advice: my courage to
do this grows by leaps and bounds. I do plan to add additional
reinforcement to the floor (if they'd done this when installing the
inspection port, I wouldn't have to do it now. The inspection port
weakened the floor sufficiently that every time someone jumped into
the cockpit, the integrity of the skin was challenged. Eventually, the
skin cracked, water seeped in and did its damage to the core. Now the
core is mush and the floor is buggered!)

Anyway, I think I'll need to reinforce the edges of the lower skin all
the way around, and glass in some stringers athwartships. The
suggestion to frame in the hatch while replacing the core is a good
one. I'm still dithering between plywood and balsa for the core. Since
I am also replacing the fuel tank (the original was rusted paper-thin
on the bottom, though the top looked as good as new), I'm not sure yet
how to configure the hatch.

When I bought her, I knew I was buying a boatload of work, but I don't
regret it for a single moment - she's a beaut!