[Public-List] Preparation for Summer 2011

Richard Mair ramair49 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:15:11 PST 2011

ON the Main  We bought ours from Shoreline Sails in Toronto. It is a Rolly
Tasker sail and we are able to put in 2 reefs without leaving the
cockpit.,and we still have the sliding boom.This can be done with any main
by the way the lower slides are attached.I recommend 3 reef points as we
only got 2 and wish we had 3.It would be a lot better than having to set the
try sail.

The radar we have a stand alone unit from (I forget the brand but can look
when we are next at the boat)..It works great with the antenna mounted on a
pole at the stern and it does not have to be in the center.Very useful on
the east coast all the way down to NC..

We use a 150 head sail also offshore weight on furling. It worked well for
us along with a drifter for when it is really light..

We have a storm jib that we had intended to attach to a heavily reinforced
pad eye on the foredeck about half way between the bow and cabin just flying
with Hilliard tension..We have never used it..all our bad weather has been
offshore and we take down all sails and deploy a Jordan series Drogue and
wait for it to pass..

This is the way we went across to the Azores,Canaries,and back via the west
indies.I think about 12000 nm.
  609 Into The Blue.