[Public-List] foredeck compression, (and bedding deck hardware)

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Wed Jan 19 13:32:38 PST 2011

Thanks Jim,

If I did my calculations correctly (always suspect), the compression tests
done on my deck sample confirm the compressive strength is greater than the
tensile (or at least "clamp") strength of the bolts.  Therefore, twist away
and get yourself one of those good old friction connections that stay put.

I guess Gord's point was that the epoxy sleeve technique was also necessary
to keep water out, something I thought could be accomplished by slightly
beveling the top of the hole and putting an appropriately sized "O" ring
around the bolt shaft and under the fitting base so it gets compressed and
seals the top of the hole in the deck.

I thought it logical to have some flexible compressed stuff at the only
place where water could get in.  Unfortunately, what in my mind is not only
logical but elegant, occasionally dosen't pass the beta test.  What to do
now?  Whatever I do, I am going to buy one of those non invasive moisture
meters (http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=17799) and keep
checking for moisture around my deck fittings; heck, everywhere.

Roger 148