[Public-List] foredeck compression, (and bedding deck hardware)

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 12:22:04 PST 2011

When this topic comes up it is important to remember what you have for a core.  If it is balsa or foam opening the core at each hole and filling with thickened epoxy is wise and some what easy.  You can use a bent nail to tear out enough balsa/foam between the deck and liner to make a good, solid epoxy column.  The principle advantage to doing this is to prevent the core from being crushed and weakening the fitting's attachment.  That it reduces the chance of water intrusion is an additional benefit.

With masonite, or other hardwood, it really isn't necessary as long as the holes are sealed and the hardware is properly bedded.  For plywood I would be inclined to treat it as balsa, or at least fill the holes with slightly thinned slow cure epoxy and redrill after it cooks.  The crush resistance of the older (masonite) deck is high enough to not be an area of concern.  The only technique I can think of is to grossly over bore the holes from the top and not penetrate the inner liner.  Then fill the hole and re drill after the epoxy has cured.  I can think of a lot of other projects that are higher on the pecking order.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace.
Ulysses S. Grant