[Public-List] cockpit floor job

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Jan 25 16:27:36 PST 2011

Mel,

On 1/23/11 3:23 PM, Mel Martin wrote:
> One question though: Did you brace the underside of the cockpit before
> making the repair? The reason I ask is that the underside of my cockpit
> has a noticeable sag to it. The cockpit itself has a depression where
> water pools rather than running down the drains.

When I re-cored the cockpit of Calypso, I put in the new coring (plastic
foam) in three sections, wrapping the glass down to the bottom laminate
in between.  Tying the laminates together like this will keep the
cockpit rigid even if the bond to the coring fails.

Most likely, that's not needed.  Yours sags because the upper & lower
skins are no longer are connected by a solid core.

If you end up with a sag after doing the job (as I did), then you can
fair it level with resin (I used polyester) mixed with glass beads.
That makes a hard surface that can take the wear.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org