[Public-List] Bluenose II, Virginia comment not crass

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 23 12:34:39 PST 2011

Michael said
"BTW Gord, I didn't mean any disrespect by adding that comment about needing a good trust fund to keep up the Bluenose II. I guess that was kinda crass, like saying I wonder if the folks in the states have a maintenance fund for the Statue of Liberty."

Ain't it the truth,  Without a good funding base, excellent PR and a very visible public mission, these ships will just disappear.  Look at the trouble the Virginia is having.  There are several other quasi government and museum ships in trouble as well.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/money-woes-ground-operations-schooner-virginia
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/supporters-see-schooner-virginia-downtown-draw
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/signs-hope-aboard-virginia
http://www.seahistory.org/html/onaleeshore.htm
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17122473?nclick_check=1

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace.
Ulysses S. Grant