[Public-List] Bluenose II, Virginia comment not crass

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Jan 23 19:09:21 PST 2011

No offense taken, Jim!

In my business I deal with many historic vessels, sail training ships and
nautical museum operations.   What separates the successful ones from the
failures is understanding that building the ship/schooner/yacht/etc is just
the beginning.  There is a rule about expenses involved operating a sailing
vessel that has held true for centuries:  one must expect to spend the cost
of the original construction/acquisition of the vessel every twelve to
fourteen years in order to maintain her in service.   (Strangely enough this
rule is one that also applies to highways, so I was told a while ago by a
government official)

Gord #426 Surprise