[Public-List] Cockpit Floor

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 17:11:18 PST 2011

Very informative discussion on cockpit repair and use of various materials for repair.

regarding choosing between epoxy and 'fiberglass' resin in older boats, a surveyor once told me a rule of thumb  is whether the existing fiberglass structure has enough styrene left in it to create an adequate bond with resin.  If not, use epoxy, as it bonds to completely cured FG, whereas resin will not.  apparently styrene continuous to transpires out of resin over time- causing the  fiberglass to cure until there is no bond possible with new glass. he said a test is to soak a rag with acetone and rub down the work area.  if the glass is still active, the acetone will create a sticky surface, by reacting with the styrene.  hence it's ok to use resin for the repair.

I've tried the acetone test on a number of reinforcing repair jobs on dolce (built in 1968) and have used resin  (with mat and weave) so far successfully for all the work.

thanks for the great comments on materials and techniques!

Glenn Brooks
S/V Dolce

Sent from my iPad