[Public-List] Fire

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Jul 12 13:59:10 PDT 2011

Hi,

We had a small fire on the boat over the weekend. I'm entirely
sure what caused it, possibly a faulty stove, possibly stuff
falling into the flame. It was out in seconds. Fire extinguishers
really work. The make a real mess however as you can see in the
photos here:
http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/sailing/Fire/index1.html
Most what you see has already been cleaned up. The mono ammonium
phosphate powder from the fire extinguishers was vacuumed and
then wiped up. The soot marks came off with a dilute bleach
solution.

The only damage that remains is the flaking of the gelcoat of
the liner. There's a close up in the third picture on that page.
Has anybody seen this before? Should I just sand it off?

SG

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn