[Public-List] Batteries

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Sun Jul 24 06:07:43 PDT 2011

I have just replaced a Gell battery that had lasted about 6 years. In doing so,
I started to do some research, which is always a problem, as now I know
something I cannot blindly whack in some new batteries, so ... here I am. The
battery I took out was a deep cycle Gell  400 CCA 86AH battery. I have two of
them, and a Yanmar 2GM to start. My household requirements are minimal - lights,
and when I get my tank cleaned out a water pump.

My questions:

What size batteries do most have?

It seems that voltage regulation is key to long battery life. The new way of
doing thins is to have a multistep regulator of some sort. I seriously doubt my
boat has that. Should I get one? How do I measure what is happening on the
current regulator? My last batteries lasted a fair bit, so, I am guessing it is
not too far off the mark, but ...

Any comments are welcome.

Jonathan
#197 Laughing Gull