[Public-List] Batteries

mahseer at kos.net mahseer at kos.net
Sun Jul 24 07:05:43 PDT 2011

Jonathan.

On my boat I have 4 6v 225ahr wet cell deep cycle golf cart batteries and
a separate automotive starting battery.  the house bank is charge by a
Balmar 612 multi stage external regulator feeding a 100 amp alternator.  I
feed the starting battery from the house bank using a Balmar digital duo
charge multi stage charger.  To monitor house usage I have a Xantrex link
10 battery monitor, this may be a little over the top for you as I do a
lot of long term cruising (ie Bahamas and back twice) so you could down
size the house bank some what.  To charge the bank correctly you need an
external regulator and high output alterantor in retrospect a 70 amp
alterator would have the correct size, link 10 could be optional in your
case, as for the start battery with it having different charge
characteristic  a means of charging correctly is needed hence the extra
regulator.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380