[Public-List] Replacement engine

Mike Lehman Sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:54:38 PDT 2011

Tom,

What engine are you trying to replace, Atomic 4 or Gary Marine? And you you
want a replacement for the engine that is there or do you want to switch to
a diesel? The engine you choose will determine the prop size and pitch. The
max diameter for an Alberg 30 is 13". For example, when I switched to diesel
from my Atomic 4, I changed the prop from the original 13 x 7 2-blade to a
12 x 12 3-blade. With a 12" prop there is less prop wash against the hull so
it is quieter and doesn't cavitate as easily. I let the prop guys at
Michigan wheel do the calculations, based on horse power and most
importantly the power curve on the engine at normal cruising speed.

For new replacement engines you may want to check out Beta Marine.
http://www.betamarinenc.com/enginemodels.html