[Public-List] Replacement Engine

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 12:55:24 PDT 2011

Tom

Also it would help to know what your boat's hull number is.  The older boats
with the wooden interior will accept a wider range of engines than the ones
with a fiberglass liner.  In either case, if you are going to go with a
diesel you can expect to have to modify the engine beds to accept a diesel.
Whitby took a few short cuts that make direct bolt in replacement difficult.
As Mike Lehman pointed out the Beta is a good diesel to use in either style
boat.   Westerbeakes are also a good choice, however more expensive.  In the
small sizes both use the same Kubota block.  In the wooden interior boats
you can use a Yanmar as well.

If the price of a diesel is too high, you can get rebuilt Atomic 4's at
reasonable prices and they will essentially be a bolt in replacement.  Moyer
Marine is a good place to start if you choose this route.
http://www.moyermarine.com/

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

"Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from the
encampment."
US Army Field Regulations - 1861