[Public-List] mast weight

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Thu Jul 28 12:20:57 PDT 2011

Roger,

I have done this several times and will do it again Sunday. This works
best if you have a couple of stout helpers.

What has worked best for me is to remove the life line and the three
stanchions from the starboard side (or port if you prefer)  of the boat.
Keep in mind at this point my mast is just the stick. No rigging, no
spreaders. Instead of 2x4's I use an extension ladder and separate the
two halves. My boat sets only nine feet off of the ground (low profile
trailer) and I lash the two ladder sections to the toe rail so they
won't slip. Next I wrap an old towel around the mast where it is to ride
up the ladder sections.

Now with the help of my friends I place the mast on a couple of saw
horses or other form of support with the towels around the mast where it
slides up the ladder. Now you can do a couple of things depending the
quality of your help.

I like to tie a line off to a suitable spot on the cabin top and bring
it down under the mast and then back up to the cockpit winch. For the
front end can either rout a line through a snatch or two and back to the
other winch or use a preventer or another purchase mechanism. You can
now walk the mast up the ladder with good enough help and just have
someone crank the winch etc to give assistance.

Once you get the mast on the side of the boat it is easy to get it in
position with one good helper. Remember you can place one end on a
fender or a couple of  life cushions and pick up the other end. You do
not need to lift the whole thing at one time.

Hope this helps.

-tom s