[Public-List] mast weight

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Jul 28 12:45:34 PDT 2011

I have found that the best method is one that utilizes speed efficiency
of effort and reliability. So as a result my recommended method is to
assemble a few people - 5 -7 have them stand around  and cut the
headstay off at the deck. As the mast falls - position the people and
catch the mast just prior to its hitting the deck. Then position and
secure the mast as necessary.  Why say you is the best method - it is
fast (9.8 meters per sec is not slow) - efficient ( no winches - it will
fall) - reliable ( again gravity will bring it down)  - people may have
some trepidation - just be sure to reinforce with beer or tequila.
This truly is reliable method - I have performed this task quite a few
times on smaller boats. I would though request that if you utilize this
method - please film as I for one would love to watch the event! Just
the joy of seeing a theory proven - or not is a great feeling!