[Public-List] mast weight

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 28 14:01:41 PDT 2011

Roger:
     You must not forget that there is a legal limit to height for
vehicles and loads  regardless of where you take your boat on a trailer
and it is 13 feet off the road in most jurisdictions. This is to make
sure you do not have a very fast (9.8 m/s) lowering of the mast with no
catchers or air mattresses if you hit a low wire or underpass ! If your
cabin and pushpit/pulpit are 12'6" off the floor, you probably do not
have enough clearance to stay under 13' with the angle of the mast on
the top of the cabin. That is not a line that is parallel to the road,
but it is high in the bow.  There is actually quite a bit of height
gained in front of the bow with the mast as long as it is. You should
seriously consider the low mount and appropriate lighting and flags.
You will also have to remove the radar mast by the sounds of it or lose
the back half of the hull when it hits if substantial is the way it is
mounted.
Don #528