[Public-List] hauling an Alberg 30 (Permit or no permit?)

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Tue Jun 21 16:14:50 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Has anyone on the list ever been checked by the D.O.T while hauling
their A-30 and asked for a permit?

Does the D.O.T. have data which gives them the exact beam  of the boat
or do they actually try to put the tape on it.

As I am sure you all know this boat actually only violates the required
beam for a very small point about mid ship. It would be a bit tricky to
actually get it measured accurately.........maybe a couple of plum bobs
dropped from the mid beam and measure between them.

I realize the boat is actually 8'-9" but the beam on my documentation it
is stated as 8.6 that could be construed as 8'-6" by say myself I guess
maybe.

The permits are not all that expensive but they do create  quite a bit
of hassle.They lock you in to a time frame and a particular route.

Anyway, I was just wondering what others have done.......... or might
would consider doing.

-mostly a lurker, but love this list,

-tom s