[Public-List] replacement spreaders

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 3 09:48:58 PDT 2011

Roger,  just be aware that F.W. Kay in his book, The Science of Yachts,
Wind, and Water, on page 63 shows the wind resistance for a tapered form
with the nose a semi-circle and teh tail tapered to a point, the taper
out of the wind,  as 1 and the reverse, so the taper to the wind, as
1.6. While you may not think it,  fish are smart and have their tails on
the correct,  trailing edge. Evolution does work for some things in
water and fluids like air.  (One gets a value of 1 for a circle as
well,  but the diameter of the circle that does have a value of 1 is
1/10 the the diameter of the tapered shape.
     Time to reverse the spreader's direction, that is  if you want a
faster boat, or at least no obvious  slow downs.
Don