[Public-List] replacement spreaders

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 12:35:10 PDT 2011

Dolce ( #318, built 1968) has tapered wood spreaders also. Rounded edge forward, tapered edge facing aft. They are essentially an airfoil, creating a bit of lift, and presumably reducing turbulence off the trailing edge and adjacent portions of the sail. The tapered edge should certainly be facing aft. Also the I would think the shock loads mostly originate from forward of the mast and travel aft to the stern. Thin sections are very weak compared to arched cross sections. The thicker rounded leading edge of the spreader would provide much greater inertial dampening of the shock waves imparted to the spreader and adjacent fittings. I think over time, reversing the spreaders, and having the tapered edge more greatly affected by buffeting and vibration ( shock loading) would eventually accelerate fatigue in the spreader.

Does this sound reasonable??

Glenn B