[Public-List] Alberg 30 FOR SALE ..............Osprey on mast head

Gail DeMoss gdemoss at alberg30.org
Tue Mar 1 18:03:12 PST 2011

We have a radio antenna on the top of our mast and the remains of a
Windex.  That seems to keep them off our boat .  We rent out a slip and
the sailboat in that slip has nothing at the top of their mast and the
Osprey use it for a picnic bench.  Very, very messy.  Sometimes their
aim is forceful enough to hit our boat across the pier.  Clean it up
ASAP.  It stains horribly.  And stinks.  If you don't have a radio
antenna consider hoisting a "pig stick".  Anything that sticks up and
makes the mast top less desirable might so it.

Yes, Osprey do migrate.  So, if you are in Florida you can expect your
Osprey to leave any day now.  He/she will return in September and may
have a couple of kids along.  They are amazing birds and have made quite
a comeback here on the Chesapeake Bay.  Most of our river marks now have
platforms making it easier for the Osprey to build nests.  The Coast
Guard no longer removes the nest every year and the same birds will
return year after year.  I really enjoy watching them,,,  You probably
guessed that!

Gail