[Public-List] Baby Stay Mast Connection ?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Mar 3 14:04:03 PST 2011

Hi gang -

That intermediate head sail was intended to be a spinnaker staysail; only
really effective when reaching with the 'chute up.

In heavy air going upwind, a staysail without a headsail set on the forestay
would result in dramatic weather helm unless the main were taken down
completely.   Generally speaking the centre of sail area has to shift
forward as wind (and heeling) increases.  That's where the mantra about
shortening sail from aft forward came from.

Can't wait for spring to be actually doing this stuff again!

Gord #426 Surprise