[Public-List] removing bottom paint

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 19:46:30 PDT 2011

Roger,

Well there are bottom jobs and there are bottom jobs...................

My only experience was with a 1966 23 foot Seafarer with similar underbody as the Alberg 30.  Bottom had not been done for many years and after the power washing there were large areas where the bottom paint was up to 1/8 inch thick,and some areas with perhaps only one thin coat left in place.  If I remember your boat was pretty smooth/uniform on the bottom.

I used three primary methods to remove all the previous bottom paint. 1st was a 1" wide steel stiff putty knife, sharpened frequently using a file to produce a blunt square edge. This worked well on the areas where the old paint was extremely thick. The caution is that it is very easy to gouge the hull, even if you are careful. Next I used Peel-away, a stripper mfg. by Dumont. This product uses a film over the stripper to help reduce the evaporation of the stripper and keep it in concact with the hull. This only worked with fair results. One advantage is that the stripped is cleaned off with water not a solvent. The final removal was done with a dual action orbital sander hooked up to a vacuum. I wanted to go down to the original gel coat and also had several blisters to open and repair. When I did get down to the gel coat I did notice several areas of original defects/voids in the fibreglass lay-up. These were able to be repiared along with the blisters and previous poor repairs.

This was a very long labourous process........................if I were paying a yard to do the work I would have never been able to pay the cost.

Michael #133