[Public-List] painting prop

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Mar 22 06:51:34 PDT 2011

When the Chesapeake warms up it grows fast enough in 3 weeks to
seriously degrade performance.

 When we purchased #272 we had her out for the survey 19 July and her
prop was clean. We took possession on 10 August and couldn't figure out
why we could only motor 2 knots. It was not the best first voyage for my
family! When we finally got back to the dock I dove and found a good 1/2
inch of barnacles and slime on each side of the prop blades. I scraped
it off and she went 6.3 knots.