[Public-List] Adding weight to the keel and other things

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon May 2 07:03:53 PDT 2011

Good morning Len -

Well some of you friends may recall me venturing into this field a few years
ago when I first bought SURPRISE.  Before I go into it - what do you mean by
'underweight'?   I assume the iron ballast keel standard to the A30?

 Here's what I think.

Since the A30 was intended by it's designer to have a lighter engine, and
lead ballast, and ended up somewhat overpowered with the relatively heavy
Atomic IV; and iron ballast (but for one exception I know about) the result
is that most of our boats squat a little.... And all are more tender than
intended.   This doesn't matter in one-design racing because we all suffer
equally, but in broad terms the squat and the ballast issues aren't good for
performance.

What you describe, Len, would result in a stiffer boat that would probably
be a better sail carrier.  That's to pro.

The con would be that it would no longer really be an Alberg 30 any more.
Maybe this isn't important to you.

One more comment... I would not worry about cutting away the fibreglass
where you are thinking of bonding your extra ballast.   I'd drill and tap
through the glass into the iron then bolt and glass your lead on that way.
If you avoided cutting away a section of glass you'd minimize the chances of
some compromise of the integrity of the encapsulation of the keel ballast.
Imagine a hard grounding making a crack...

Anyway - I too thought about all that.  I even thought about cutting off the
iron ballast and replacing it with an assembly of a new lead ballast keel
with deadwood to make up the diff in volume that I'd bolt on again using
traditional keel bolt/floor timber structures.   Of course that would be
horribly expensive but I thought about it.

While I was thinking about it I bought SURPRISE a new main and genoa; and
what ho? Suddenly the boat was dramatically stiffer.  I am embarrassed to
admit how surprised I was....

Gord #426 SURPRISE