[Public-List] Window replacement

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu May 5 13:45:09 PDT 2011

Hi,

Three points:

1) I tried to replace a 3/16" window with 1/4" window. I tried
3 times. Each time the window would crack. I switched back to
3/16" and didn't have a problem. However I seem to be the only
one with this issue. Is the extra 1/16" really important? Not
to me. If I was expecting big waves hitting the window, I would
replace the whole system with 1/2" thick lexan windows bolted
to the outside of the cabin.

2) If your windows are acrlic or polycarbonate/Lexan, don't
use any sealant other than silicone. It will depolymerise the
window in a few years. That is to say, the solid plastic will
become a liquid where the sealant touches it.

3) The "sealant as gasket" method works. As several people
have suggested, lightly tighten the screws, let silicone set
and then keeping the screw fixed so as not to disturb the
now solid sealant, tighten the nut.

SG

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn