[Public-List] Window replacement

Greg Bover gregbover at cbfisk.com
Mon May 2 14:58:10 PDT 2011

Bob wrote:
Since I have the 36 year old 3/16" plastic windows removed I would like
to replace them with new stuff.

Has anyone replaced their windows with 1/4'' instead without any gotchas
or problems and used tinted ones?

I just replaced the cabin deadlights on Linnet, #114. I used 1/4 Acrylite
that I bought from US Plastics Corp. $50 for a 24x48 sheet, which would have
made 5. My research seemed to indicate that this stuff has good UV
resistance. The previous owner had replaced the windows just 8 or 9 years
ago, and they had gone very foggy, which may have been from using butyl
caulk. I'm told it doesn't play well with acrylics or polycarbonates. I used
Dow 795 silicone, which is what the plastics manufacturer suggested. I also
googled "replacing boat windows" and found a number of methods of masking
and caulking that I synthesized into a method that made sense to me. I also
bought a little filleting tool meant for doing bathroom tile that made the
job much neater than it might have been. I used clear acrylic because I live
up in Gloucester, where it is almost never too hot in the boat, and I have
shades for when it is too bright.

Good luck,

Greg Bover
Frances Fitch