[Public-List] Paint hull liner & deck #560

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon May 2 22:27:56 PDT 2011

A comment on caulking the windows... I replaced the windows on Dolce a couple of years ago and had to recaulktwo times with marine silicon and one with another other synthetic tube caulking compound - all three times experienced leaks of one sort or another - usually because one or more windows slide sagged down a bit in the frame because of gravity and displacing the caulking compound before it set up. Finally on the fourth go ( during one sailing season) I went back to old fashioned Dolphinite, bedded the entire window frame outline inside and out, then squeezed the excess out a bit by snugging down the bolts and havent had a drop of water get through the seals any time since. Dolphinite is usually used to bed wood on wood, but I now use it exclusively on any fitting on the boat that needs to be bedded watertight. It is supper easy to clean up with paint thinner and has no adhesion properties - so no miserable cutting or gouging when removing, and lasts for 30 years as a bedding compound, super stuff...

(Note, it is not an adhesive like 5200, but I figure that is what bolts and screws are for...)

Good luck on your windows - new lexan, or what ever you choose will look great.

Glenn B
S/V Dolce #319