[Public-List] questions about bronze fasteners

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Tue May 10 02:57:51 PDT 2011

I agree Michael. What I don't like about working with stainless is
that while I'm sure it is stronger, it gives no feedback to when it
fails. For example, when putting screws into a hard wood, stainless
goes in ok right up to the point where it snaps the head off or strips
the head. With bronze, it seems that you can feel it start to stress,
as if the head is twisting a little, then springs back. It is subtle,
but I do notice it. Gives you the chance to make a correction, drill a
better pilot hole etc.

-Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM,  <crufone at comcast.net> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I don't believe that Stainless holds up well in a salt water environment. As with Bronze there are many alloys of Stainless. Some are more salt water resistant than others. But if I had the choice between silicon bronze and stainless fasteners for the same application I would always choose silicone bronze.
>
> Michael #133

Jeffrey Fongemie